While many questions come up with couponing, there is one that tends to come up over and over. People often times want to know, Can I Use Coupons with Food Stamps? Many times they are afraid to ask this question, so they avoid using coupons altogether. Well there is no need to be afraid or embarrassed, as saving money should never be something to be ashamed of. The answer to this question is YES, you can use coupons when using food stamps. However, there are a few things you should know first. Take a look below at how you can use coupons when using food stamps to really get the most bang for your buck, as well as any stipulations you should know!
How to Use Coupons When Using Food Stamps:
1. When using coupons, you can use them on any food item. As long as it is a food item coupon and matches a valid food stamp item, you are good to go!
2. All coupon rules sill apply. You must use the coupon on the quantity and size listed, as well as use a coupon that is not yet expired.
3. You must still pay tax on the coupons if applicable. This is where it can get confusing. Some food items will get taxed. For example, some snack foods and beverages. In this case, your coupon may knock the price back a few bucks, but you will still need to pay the tax on the item. In this case, you must pay out of pocket. Keep change on you so when this happens, you can easily pay out of pocket.
4. You may still use coupons in stores that double and use your food stamp benefits on top of it.
5. You may use coupons on non food items, but those items are not food stamp eligible. In that case, keep your food and non food items separate so you can do two transactions.
6. Coupons can also be used on other government food assistance programs such as WIC. Check with your state to see what programs may be available if you are in need of food assistance.
To learn more about stretching your money using coupons, make sure to read my New to Couponing Post HERE
Using coupons when using food stamp benefits can really help you stretch your dollar and feed your family for less. There is nothing wrong or illegal about using coupons when you redeem your food stamp benefits as long as you follow the guidelines and stipulations listed above. Of course benefits and programs may vary from state to state, so be sure to check with the state you live in to see what other information you may need to know. It is up to you to be a smart consumer and know!
Make your food dollar go further when you combine coupons and food stamps. Even if you do not use them, perhaps you can pass this information along to someone who does. That way, they can better stretch their food budget!